186 - Chemo–anti–inflammatory therapy for prostate cancer
Joshua H Choi, firstname.lastname@example.org, Rakesh K Pathak, Trent B Berding, Sean Marrache, Shanta Dhar. Department of Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia 30605, United States
Chronic inflammation has critical role in approximately 20% of human cancers.1 Inflammation influences every step of carcinogenesis from initiation through proliferation, and to migration.2 Prostate Cancer (PCa) is the most frequently diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of cancer death in men in the United States.3 Patient with PCa inevitably progress to hormone-independent disease. PCa that progresses in the presence of androgen blockade is defined as Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer (CRPC) which progresses by inflammation responses triggered by the death of androgen-deprived primary cancer cells.3-6 Cis-diamminedichloroplatinum(II) or cisplain is one of the most effective anticancer drugs to treat variety of solid tumors. However, resistant to the apoptotic death of advanced PCa causes to fail in cisplatin-based therapy. Compounds with anti-inflammatory properties such as aspirin, curcumin, and prednisone can be an attractive additive to chemotherapeutic approaches for PCa due to their potential in cancer chemoprevention. A combination of cisplatin and anti-inflammatory compounds can be an effective strategy to treat PCa. In this work, we present fabrication of prodrugs that contain cisplatin and anti-inflammatory compounds and their biological activity to manage PCa.
(1) De Marzo, A.M.; Platz, E.A.; Sutcliffe, S.; Xu, J.; Grönberg, H.; Drake, C.G.; Nakai, Y.; Isaacs, W.B.; Nelson, W.G. Nat Rev Cancer 2007 , 7, 256-269.
(2) Grivennikov, S.I.; Greten, F.R.; Karin, M. Cell 2010 , 140, 883-899.
(3) Jemal, A.; Siegel, R.; Xu, J.; Ward, E. CA Cancer J Clin 2010 , 60, 277-300.
(4) Ferlay, J.; Parkin, D.; Steliarova-Foucher, E. Eur J Cancer 2010 , 46, 765-781.
(5) Ammirante, M.; Luo, J.-L.; Grivennikov, S.; Nedospasov, S.; Karin, M. Nature 2010 , 464, 302-305.
(6) Khor, L.-Y.; Bae, K.; Pollack, A.; Hammond, M.E.H.; Grignon, D.J.; Venkatesan, V.M.; Rosenthal, S.A.; Ritter, M.A.; Sandler, H.M.; Hanks, G.E. Lancet Oncol 2007 , 8, 912-920.
Tuesday, March 18, 2014 05:30 PM
Current Topics in Biological Chemistry (05:30 PM - 08:00 PM)
Location: Dallas Convention Center
Room: Hall E